Mai Chau is originally a small town at approximately 150km from Hanoi center in Hoa Binh province. The area is not really famous for the town itself but more for the beautiful valley close by surrounded by a mountain range. There are three main villages in the valley which are Ban Lac 1 and 2 and Pom Coong inhabited by the Thai minority group.
What to do in Mai Chau
- Take cycling tour or electric car tour
- Trekking in remote areas in the middle of rice fields
- Learn about handicraft as sewing with traditional tools
- Farming (planting rice, harvesting, plowing) depending on season
- Kayak on Black river, swim in Go Lao waterfall
- Exploring remote villages like Ban Buoc, Mai Hich
- Visit the 1000-step cave or Mo Luong cave
- Visit the daily Mai Chau market
- Taste some local specialties as the sticky rice cooked in bamboo
As you can see, the valley of Mai Chau abounds of things to do and will satisfy every kind of travelers.
Moreover, if you decide to take a multi-days Pu Luong – Mai Chau tour, you will have a large selection of accommodations. From the traditional homestay in stilt house to luxury bungalows in an ecolodge passing by middle range ones bordering the rice fields, options are many.
For more information about Mai Chua, you can find it in our Mai Chau Travel Guide article.