Ho Chi Minh is the most developed city in Vietnam. Besides many famous attractions such as Independence Palace, Nha Rong Wharf, Ben Thanh Market, etc, museums in Ho Chi Minh City are also popular for tourists. Let’s take a look at some art and history museums located right in the city center.
1. Ho Chi Minh City War Remnants Museum
- Address: No. 28 Vo Van Tan, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
- Opening time: From 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, every day of the week including New Year holidays.
- Ticket price: 40,000 VND / ticket (Free for children under 6 years old, people with special severe disabilities, poor households)
The War Remnants Museum is an indispensable attraction when traveling to Ho Chi Minh City. It displays a lot of documents, artifacts as well as true and vivid images of the war period, the consequences on Vietnam. The images and artifacts in the museum are mainly from the French invasion until after the liberation day.
The Ho Chi Minh City War Remnants Museum is a historical museum that leaves the most emotions for visitors with faithful images of Vietnam during the colonial period. Beside more than 20,000 photos and movies, the museum also keeps some cruel war artifacts such as The Tiger cage, the Viet Minh killing guillotine, etc.
2. FITO Museum in Ho Chi Minh City
- Address: 41 Hoang Du Khuong, Ward 12, District 10, Ho Chi Minh city
- Opening time: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Sunday
- Ticket price: 120,000 VND/adult and 60,000 VND/children
FITO Museum is one of the first private museums in Vietnam. With the North architectural style, the museum always leaves a new impression on domestic and foreign tourists. The museum was opened in 2007 with 600m2 and 18 gallery rooms. Although it is a private museum, there are 4,000 artifacts related to Vietnamese traditional medicine and 1112 names of remedies in the FITO Museum.
Beside unique architecture, coming to the FITO Museum in Ho Chi Minh city, visitors can also participate in the preparation process of cutting, spreading and tasting traditional medicine.
3. Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts Museum
- Address: 97A Pho Duc Chinh Street, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Opening time: 7:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Sunday
- Ticket price: 30,000 VND/ticket
Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts Museum was established in 1987 and opened in 1991. This is one of the most famous museums in Ho Chi Minh City with a harmonious design between Asian and Western architecture.
The museum displays unique painting works in different historical stages of Vietnam. Coming to the museum, you can visit the exhibition areas on separate floors. The first floor displays artworks of Vietnamese artists with the main theme is landscapes, temples and coastal areas. The second floor displays works of famous domestic artists. The 3rd floor displays sculptures and contemporary fine arts. And the 4th floor displays the collections of ancient, modern art and traditional handicrafts.
Must see: Pu Luong – The masterpiece of nature in North Vietnam
4. Vietnam History Museum in Ho Chi Minh City
- Address: No. 2 Nguyen Binh Khiem, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Opening time: 8:00 am – 11:30 am and 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, Tuesday to Sunday including New Year holidays.
- Ticket price: 20,000 VND/ticket
The Vietnam History Museum in Ho Chi Minh city was established on January 1, 1929. The museum has more than 30,000 valuable artifacts and 25,000 books and documents about Vietnam history. Main function of the museum is to preserve and promote the cultural heritage of the nation through research, collection, assessment and restoration. Coming to the Vietnam History Museum in Ho Chi Minh, visitors also can enjoy the Water Puppetry program – a form of folk art performance that appeared more than 1000 years ago.
5. Southern Women’s Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
- Address: No. 200 – 202 Vo Thi Sau Street, Ward 7, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Opening time: 7:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Sunday
- Ticket price: Free
The Southern Women’s Museum is one of the museums that preserve photos and artifacts about the lives of Southern women during the war. This is a favorite destination for female and foreign tourists when traveling to Ho Chi Minh City.
Currently, the museum is storing and managing 31,360 artifacts, but only displays 929 most typical artifacts because of its limited space. Of which, there are 2/3 artifacts about the revolutionary war and 1/3 artifacts about Southern women. These artifacts are divided into several collections according to a certain theme or material.
Museums in Ho Chi Minh City are the best attractions for those who love history and art. Hopefully with the list of museums in Ho Chi Minh City, you’ve got the most useful information for your future trip. Contact us if you need any assistants.
See more: Pu Luong – Amazing nature in North Vietnam